Monday, July 16, 2012

A fantastic find!

I recently came across a fantastic Craislist find! I was able to purchase a 1916 (date is approximated based on serial number) White treadle sewing machine for $60.

Here is what it looks like in its case! It has some cosmetic damage from being stored in someones basement for years, but is in pretty good shape otherwise.

After taking a look at the underneath, which really means my Dad (the engineer) took a look underneath, we believe that it's in pretty good mechanical shape. It does need a belt replaced and some cleaning/oiling. Also, it did come with the apparently pretty hard to find shuttle and bobbin!

My love and I traveled out to the man's home a few days prior to picking it up to see it and talk to the man about it. I loved it so much, I took a chance and went ahead and gave him the cash so that there wouldn't be a chance someone else would snatch it up. I knew I was getting a good deal, but I really had no idea at that time what a good deal I was getting!

A few days later, my dad and I rode over in his van to pick it up, it's quite large and bulky of course. My dad looked it over and agreed that it was nice. He started pulling out the drawers, and low and behold! there was a little black box..


 My dad pulled it out and the guy whom I was purchasing it from stated that he had no idea that the box was in there..I opened it up to reveal a treasure trove!


So many attachments, and I have no idea what most of them are for, but I love them already! The man that I bought it from said that I sure got my $60 worth, and he was right!

I've recently moved and still have a million boxes to unpack, so it will be a little while until I can work on Thelma (yes, I named the machine :P). Hopefully I will be posting about her progress soon.

Also, a future post will include quite a few other fantastic finds that I purchased from the same gentleman. Sadly his wife recently passed away, and was a quilter, so she had a vast fabric stash that he let me look through and I found so many wonderful pieces, not to mention a ton of records and some vintage hair clips! I'll be doing a more in depth post with photos soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment