Thursday, November 8, 2012

Completed 1912 Titanic Project: E0200 Scallop Edge Skirt

This is the second of my postings from my first project for the  1912 Titanic Sew Project, and I must say, I really enjoyed this pattern, and look forward to the ones I'll be working on in the future.

First I'll begin this post with the obligatory checklist for the project:

Pattern Checklist:
  1. Pattern Description: E0200 Scallop Edge Skirt.
  2. Pattern Sizing: The pattern lists the skirt as having a 34 inch waist, which is pretty accurate. I did not need to do any altering as this is already my waist measurement.
  3. Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing it? I think it looked pretty close to the drawing. The only real difference I see is that the scallops in the drawing seem deeper and more curved than they turned out to be from the pattern.
  4. Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were pretty straightforward. I don't recall having any real issues when reading them.
  5. What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I really liked this pattern as it was easy to follow and easy to put together. I think it was a great starter pattern for this time period. 
  6. Fabric Used: brown striped linen
  7. Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: no significant changes
  8. Would you recommend this pattern to others? I would definitely recommend this pattern to anyone that was interested in an attractive and easy to put together skirt.
  9. Conclusion I really enjoyed sewing this skirt and am working on a blouse to go with it. 
VPLL Checklist:

  1. Pattern name: 0200 Ladies skirt (scallop edge)
  2. Sewer's skill level:  Intermediate
  3. Pattern rating: 4- better than average.
  4. What skill level would someone need to sew this pattern and why?  I would say somewhere between a beginner and intermediate. It might not be the best first project, but with some sewing experience, I think someone could easily put this pattern together. Of course, that's coming from a no alterations standpoint, if alterations are necessary, sizing up or down, a higher skill level might be needed. 
  5. Were the instructions easy to follow? If not, what needs to be changed? I thought the instructions were very clear and easy to follow.
  6. How was the fit/sizing? Did it correspond to what you thought? For me the sizing was great, and it seems to fit me pretty well. 
  7. Did you make any pattern alterations? If so, what alterations did you make? Were they fit or design alterations? No alterations.



So here is a photo of the finished skirt (please forgive the atrocious photo quality, I don't have a nice camera at the moment). I swear I ironed it, TWICE! Le sigh..That's what I get for using linen ;P. It doesn't look as wrinkly in person, I think the low light of my hallway is casting too many shadows and finding every tiny wrinkle...

Beyond the wrinkles, I think it turned out pretty well. The only change I might make is to put something in the hem to help it keep it's shape more, perhaps some horsehair or something. If I were to make another one, I would probably not use my machine to tack down the scalloped edge facing, I'd probably do it by hand to avoid the slight puckering along that seam that is making it look so wrinkly. But you know what they say, you live and you learn :P.

    Here is a back view.


And a side view.

And thus concludes my version of E0200 from the VPLL Titanic sewing project. Hopefully I will be sharing some more finished projects soon. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Laura,
    I don't know how to contact you other than comment. We met at Joann Fabrics about 6-8 months ago and talked for a few minutes. I was looking for antique fabrics for an interior design glass. Anyway, I am looking for some experienced in period costuming for a local short film that I am working on (Production Design). If you are interested, please email me at elissa.m.cain@gmail.com. Thanks a ton and sorry for the awkward comment post :) -Elissa

    ReplyDelete