Tuesday, May 8, 2012

"You are amazing"

These are the words my grandmother uttered as she incredulously turned in her hands one of the corsets I recently finished.
This is my Granny, not the best photo..

This last week my grandmother came to visit, or rather, was brought to stay for a bit, while my aunt and uncle went on a long awaited beach trip. I'd talked to her on the phone quite a few times about my sewing ventures, but she'd never seen any of the fruits of my labors.

"I am so proud of you," she said, as she looked at me, beaming. "I remember wearing girdles, but we never considered making them." I explained to her that corsets/girdles are not as easy to come by as they used to be, and that the most practical way for me to acquire the proper corsets for my expansive historical interests was to learn to make them myself. She just couldn't believe it. I don't think I've ever been so happy as when she said those words to me.

I thought that I would share this experience in my debut post on this blog because it really inspired me to put even more in to my sewing. My grandmother (a.k.a. Granny) is my only living grandparent, sadly, and so it means a lot to me to be able to share this with her. I envy her in many ways, having lived through so many historically significant decades, to which I'm sure she would laugh and say "hmm!"I think it's so neat to be able to call her and ask her opinion on a cuff for a particular dress because she may have had a dress very similar.

Hopefully I will be sharing with you, and my Granny, many completed projects in the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment